April 14, 2012: Mushrooms

We got some mushroom compost for our yard, and it started growing some really weird mushrooms.  The big one looks a little like a grumpy old man.


  1. I get those in my compost heap and originally in my garden too. I found out what they were... Peziza Vesiculosa, the Blistered Cap fungus. Unfortunately not edible ("poisonous unless well cooked", my scribbled note says), but they only grow in rich soil.

    Amazing what you find on the A to Z Challenge, isn't it!

  2. Thank you for the info. Good to know my soil is rich. Thankfully, we don't really like mushrooms, so we haven't tried to eat them :)