Wednesday

May 22, 2012: Roger Waters The Wall Live

First I want to apologize for the quality of the photos.  I am a rule-follower, so when I read that cameras were not allowed at the concert, I left mine behind.  It turns out it was ok to have a camera as long as you didn't use the flash.  Argh!  Anyway, we just used Rob's phone.  Hence the crappy pictures :)

Last night we went to see Roger Waters perform The Wall Live at the Rose Garden in Portland.  I truly have a hard time putting into words how amazing this show was.  It was actually difficult to take pictures because I felt like I was missing out on the experience.  The venue is huge, and at the beginning of the show the stage was bordered by a partially built wall.
 You can see a blurry little Roger Waters in the bottom left corner with his hands in the air.
 Throughout the show images were projected onto the wall.
A lot of the images had to do with war, and images of people killed in WWII, the war in Iraq and the 9/11 attacks.
 There were a bunch of giant inflatable puppets, like the teacher from "Another Brick in the Wall."  His eyes glowed and shone light out over the crowd.

 During the song "Mother," there was a giant mother who loomed above the stage while a video of Roger Waters singing the exact same song thirty years ago was projected on the wall.  I didn't get a picture because I was too busy watching everything on stage :)

During the show, the wall slowly got bigger and bigger, building around the band, until there was only one brick left.  That small hole was plugged by a brick right before intermission, and the second half started with the band completely obscured behind a giant white wall.
 Later a huge inflatable pig floated around the arena.


 The band was moved out in front of the wall.


 Roger Waters picked up a big gun and was shooting all around like a crazy dictator.
"Mother, should I run for president?"  The crowd answered with a resounding "yes!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment